Wednesday, March 16, 2011

head(board) over heels

Despite living outside my parents' home for nearly two years, I have next to nothing to show for myself as far as furniture, and interior design pieces go. I've been meaning to improve on this for AGES but just never get around to it. Lately, I've been jonesin' for a headboard for my bed.... I have a few ideas but nothing has materialized at the top of my bed as of yet.

Originally, I had planned on making a collage of sorts of various canvas paintings that include patterns, words (quotes, lyrics, or individual words), images, etc. This hasn't been established yet and my painting skills are less than developed so I'm not holding my breath for it to happen any time soon. (However, I've recently decided to take up painting and got some very basic starter supplies last Christmas so I will be posting about honing my painting skills in the near future!). That's for another time though.

In the meantime, here are some other ideas that strike my fancy.

Apartment Therapy




I found this one as a DIY on apartmenttherapy.com. I'm not sure this is something I'm up for (requiring things like upholstery needles and wood screws... eeek!) but it looks great so if you're skillful enough, hop on it!

This delightful headboard made of shutters is so endearing and I thoroughly enjoy every second of the distressed, worn look. Doesn't this just make you think of those amazingly sweet beach houses at Cape Cod or the Hamptom's in movies... who wouldn't wanna channel that feeling in your bedroom? I'm not sure that it's exactly what I'm looking for right now but when I re-image my bedroom it may be just the look I go for...

Diva Design Diary
Apparently this metal headboard is simple to make (I'm assuming with the help of professionals) and inexpensive. It's made out of corrugated metal roofing cut into a great, classic headboard shape. Looks sexy and expensive to me. I'd go for this if I had any idea where to get and cut corrugated metal.....

HGTV


Next up, I also LOVE these three ideas from a fellow blogger (clearly WAY more experienced and talented than myself at blogging), Lovely Undergrad.

Lovely Undergrad c/o flowerwine
This is such a wonderful re-purposed way of using a garden gate. Apparently you can use annnnything for headboards which opens my eyes to a whole new world (thanks Aladdin) of ideas for my headboard. LU says this is a garden gate from the regular old home improvement store, Lowe's. Unfortunately, Lowe's hasn't made it to BC yet but Home Hardware has this less intricate version that might do the trick:



My queen-sized bed is roughly 60 inches across and 25 inches high so size-wise this is a perfect fit! Definitely a good option and would be a lot easier than the fabric one above, although less comfy to sit against (and possibly louder if ya know what I'm saying.... I never said this was a G-rated blog). Here are more from LU.

Lovely Undergrad c/o Better Homes and Gardens

This lettered one looks fantastic but it would take me a long time to find a good assortment of letters so this is also on hold for now.

Lovely Undergrad c/o I Heart Norwegian Wood

This one is made up of straight scrapbook paper pages of various patterns all put up with double sided tape. Love love LOVE it. This is an ingenious way to create the effect of a headboard on a budget and when you're a renter like me, an excellent way to add a "piece of furniture" without having to figure out how to move it into and out of your various apartments over the years. It's also a great interim headboard for while I try to figure out a more grown-up, long-term solution. And amazingly, I am well established in the art that is scrapbooking (one of the only artforms I've embraced for years and actually feel semi-confident in). But, even if you aren't, there are walls of scrapbook paper of all colors and patterns at Michael's and bigger cities like Vancouver have numerous craft stores or scrapbooking specific stores with even more selection. You can even find virtually ANY kind of scrapbook paper you could ever dream of online.



Stay tuned for my version of this scrapbook paper headboard in the very near future and maybe even another DIY headboard in the further-away future! I'd love input about other headboard ideas, how-to's, etc.


K

1 comment:

  1. I like it! Very good beginning I will be waiting to see what happens with your head board!

    ReplyDelete