Wednesday, March 16, 2011

DIY: Headboard

Soooo... continuing on where I left of with my last headboard post.... I DIY'ed a headboard using scrapbook paper. Remember my inspiration?:


Well, mine turned out a liiiiiittle different. Although my room is sort of lacking in any concrete design theme, I've had a vision for a long while and I have a few pieces to start off the look. My duvet cover is red and I have some black and white floral pillows (thanks Ikea) for my bed.


I also have two bedside lamps with a similar floral pattern (thanks Walmart). This photo comes along with some obvious night-stand necessities... a candle, a good book and an eye-mask (my saving grace for working shift-work: Thanks, Mama Ham!).


So, with these items for inspiration and a colour theme, I hit up Michael's, found some scrapbook paper fitting my theme and made my way home to make my headboard creation. Michael's happened to be having a great sale on scrapbooking paper so some of the paper was as low as 20cents/sheet! However, in true Kelsey fashion, my attention was drawn to the textured and bedazzled paper so most of my sheets were a whopping $3.50/sheet... damn. However, it still only ended up totalling about $30 so in the grand-scheme of headboards that's a steal! I did learn that the more "textured" the paper, the heavier it is and that glittered paper is a BITCH with tape because everything was covered in black glitter. I actually forgot to buy double sided tape so I used my scrapbook photo mounting squares which, let me tell you, are NOT strong enough to hold this paper (sheets are falling off the wall as I type so I'll have to re-tape them later) but it should stay up fine when I get a better sticking medium. I was too excited to get it done and share the photos to wait for when I had better tape! Anyways, here's my creation:







I realize this is VERY BOLD but I think it's also romantic, sexy and definitely funky. My version is NOT for the faint of heart! The best part about this headboard is that it's so simple to change whenever I feel like it! For now, I'm loving how unique and attention-grabbing it is... my whole room is transformed and I can't keep my eyes off it! My favorite paper choices turned out to be the expensive ones, of course. The all-red paper is actually a velvet and looks really textured and elegant in real-life. The black is sparkly and adds a completely different element of texture and a whole lot of glamour! But my most favorite paper is this:


The black floral bits are velvety AND sparkly (winning!) and the background is vintagey-looking book pages! I absolutely LOVE this paper! When I found it in the store it reminded me that I forgot to post the picture of the book pages headboard in my last post so I'm gonna add it here:

RoomPolish

Being the nerd that I am, of course I LOVE this idea but as fun and interesting as it is, I think I'm more of a romantic-bedroom type so it probably won't be gracing the top of my bed anytime soon. I do, however, think it would make a great feature-wall in a small office! Or would it look kinda creepy and psycho-stalkerish? In any case,  I'll keep it in mind for when I have a small office!

Oh, and I almost forgot... the sun set on my decorating (literally, not figuratively) and made for a delicious view from my bedroom window.....







I hope you like my first DIY project and even if it's not your own personal style the take-home message is that this is a great, simple, inexpensive and non-committal headboard (or wall-art or decorating in any sense really) idea that you can take in ANY direction using ANY colour, pattern or combination you want!

Lovely, lovely headboarding!


K

2 comments:

  1. Kels I love this! Your paper choices are fantastic - I really like the zebra... You`re right, it is really bold, but I think it`s a great focal point and works well since your walls are all neutral. I find myself wishing for multiple bedrooms so I can try this (I have a fabric headboard that I made - way more committal haha)

    Keep up the great work!
    Calli

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some great tools that i definitely use for SEO work. This is a great list to use in the future.. loose headboard

    ReplyDelete