Sunday, July 24, 2011

Shower Her With Love: Rebecca's Baby (Boy) Shower Part 2

The decorations. I got a LOT of inspiration for this from Pinterest where, it seems, many other very talented people have hosted lovely shower themed showers. Here are some of my inspiration sources and their wonderful work:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/66411911/printable-baptism-or-christening-circle 
http://partyperfectblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/baby-shower.html
http://www2.fiskars.com/Activities/Crafting/Articles/Baby-Shower
I didn't go too crazy with decorations since my parents weren't thrilled about the idea of holes in their walls and ceiling so I stuck mainly to "clouds" and "rain" with some clothes lines for gifts.

I made tissue paper poms from this Martha Stewart tutorial (she really does know everything) and they turned out to be quite easy though slightly time consuming. You can make them any size and depending on how you cut the edges they can have very different effects.

I also made "rain" using cardstock in a variety of blues and fishing line (which my Dad has in no short supply!). I found it easiest to make heart shapes and then fold them in half and glue them over the fishing line. I tied these to the "clouds" and had a "rainy day" waiting for the Baby Shower.

I also found adoarble extra-large blue clothespins in the discount bin at Michael's and HAD to use them so I strung up "clothes lines" and hung up my present (jeans and a polo shirt - this is funny if you know my brother-in-law/Rebecca's Husband/the-father-to-be, Michael because he ALWAYS wears jeans and a blue polo) rather than wrapping it. I know, I know, kind of contradicting the "rainy day" theme but SO cute, right?! My work:


A few pictures back you may have caught a very tiny glimpse of my FAVORITE part of the decorations - a DIAPER CAKE! I got the idea for this type of diaper cake from here and I think I pulled it off pretty nicely!

I made three cardboard rings in different sizes (middle size with a whole in it) and decorated them with blue wrapping paper and doilies. I then rolled up diapers (image side in so they're mostly all white) and tied them with clear elastic bands. I arranged the diapers on each tier with a wrapping-paper roll extending from the bottom tier through the middle tier and supporting the top tier. I wrapped a ribbon around the diapers in each tier and topped the "cake" with some flowers. I also arranged a few flowers on each tier to cover up the areas where I pinned the ribbon. The results:

Not bad for a first-timer, eh? Rebecca loved it so much that she INSISTED on bringing it home whole which meant it rode in the car between Kyra and I for the ENTIRE 5 hour drive to Vancouver from Savona. To be honest, I didn't really have the heart to dismantle the beautiful creation I'd spent so much time on so it was worth it to sit next to a diaper cake all the way home!

All in all, I found decorating a lot of fun and not all that expensive (dollar stores helped!) and a little bit makes a BIG impact! I'd be happy to help decorate a shower (or soiree of any sort) in the future - in fact, I think this might be my DREAM career!

Happy Decorating!

K

No comments:

Post a Comment